Home Fire Safety Tips for the Holidays
The Christmas tree
- Get a freshly cut tree. It will stay green longer and be less of a fire hazard. Try to pick a tree with a strong green colour and noticeable fragrance.
- Always test for freshness before buying. A tree with high moisture content is safer. Very few needles should fall when the butt of the tree is tapped on the ground; needles should bend, not break; and the stump should be sticky with resin.
- Place the tree in a stand that will hold 2 to 3 litres of water and top it up daily. Make sure it is always immersed in water: If water drops below the trunk, the stem may reseal itself, requiring a fresh cut. Use a tree stand that has widespread legs for better balance.
- Do not set your tree up near a heat source such as a radiator, television, fireplace, heating duct or sunny window. It should not block doors or windows.
- Never use lighted candles on the tree.
- Remove the tree within 10 to 14 days. After that amount of time in a heated building, even the freshest tree can start to dry out.
- Choose decorations that are flame-retardant, non-combustible and non-conductive.
- If there are young children or pets in your home, avoid very small decorations.
- Avoid using angel hair (glass wool) together with spray-on snowflakes. This combination is highly combustible.
- Do not use metallic ornaments on the tree. If they make contact with defective wiring they could become a shock hazard.
- Use Canadian Standards Association (CSA) certified light strings/sets.
- Use the proper lights for the environment. Indoor light strings/sets should not be used outdoors because they lack weatherproof connections. Some outdoor light strings/sets burn too hot indoors.
- Inspect light strings/set before use. Check for cracked bulbs and for frayed, broken or exposed wires, and discard if faulty.
- Do not use electric light strings/sets on metallic trees. A faulty system could energize the tree and shock or electrocute anyone coming into contact. Illuminate metallic trees with colored floodlights placed at a safe distance from the tree and out of reach.
- Turn off all tree and display lights before retiring for the night or before leaving the house.
- Place candles away from absolutely anything that could catch fire.
- Never leave burning candles unattended.
- Burn them only when a responsible adult is overseeing the flame.
- Put candles in sturdy holders on a stable surface, well away from drafts, curtains, children and pets.
- Snuff them out before leaving the room or going to sleep.
- Never burn gift wrappings, boxes, cartons, or other types of packing in the fireplace. They burn too rapidly and generate far too much heat.
- Don't hang Christmas stockings from the mantel when the fireplace is in use.
- Always use a screen in front of the fireplace to protect against flying sparks.
- Never use gasoline or any other flammable liquids to start a fire.
- Use only seasoned and dried wood.
- Never leave the fire unattended or let it smoulder.
- Clean the ashes regularly. Place the ashes in a metal container and store outside away from flammable materials.
- Don't use Christmas trees for firewood.
- There is often a tendency to overload wall outlets during the holiday season. This is an unsafe practice and should be avoided even for short durations.
- Inspect all cords before using. Make sure they are CSA certified. Look for loose connections or frayed or exposed wire. Discard any defective cords. Read the labels and manufacturer's instructions to ensure proper use.
- Insert plugs fully into outlets. Poor contact may cause overheating or shock.
- To avoid possible overheating, do not coil or bunch an extension cord which is in use and do not run it under carpets or rugs.
Grease and fat fires are a leading cause of home fires in Canada, so be extra careful when doing this kind of cooking. Here's what to do if grease in a pot or pan catches fire:
- Smother the flames by covering the pan with a lid.
- Turn off the heat immediately.
- Use baking soda (flour can be explosive) on shallow grease fires.
- Never turn on the overhead fan, as this could spread the fire.
- Never throw water on a grease fire.
- Home smoke alarm
- Carbon monoxide detector
- Multi-purpose (ABC) fire extinguisher
- Candle snuffer
- Thermostatically controlled deep fryer
Last but not least ... make sure your smoke detectors work!
Preventing accidental fire during the holidays
(NC) It's the holiday season, our most festive time of the year. It's a time of celebration, joy and connecting with family and friends. Unfortunately, this important time can also be one marked by tragedy if precautions are not taken against accidental fire.
According to the Canadian Safety Council, every year about 400 Canadians lose their lives in an accidental household fire. In fact, it's during the holiday season that the number of deaths caused by accidental household fires is at its highest.
Patrice De Luca, vice president of Marketing and Customer care for Reliance Protectron Security Services, says the major culprit for this significant increase is the famed Christmas tree. “You need to take every possible precaution to minimize the risks of fire, especially if you choose a natural tree,” he added. “Fire is one of the greatest threats to your family and home. People do not realize the emotional toll a fire can take, even if there is no loss of life.”
Here are safety tips to consider from Protectron's free “Saving Lives Program”:
• If possible, consider an artificial tree. They are much safer and cleaner.
• Leave the tree outside until you're ready to decorate.
• The tree stand should hold at least 1 gallon of water. It's crucial to check the water level every day.
• Detectors for smoke and carbon monoxide should be installed at strategic locations – your kitchen, stairwell, bedroom hallways and other high-traffic household areas. Monitored smoke detectors can save lives by having operators standing by 24-7 and dispatching emergency services if required (for example if fire occurs while sleeping).
• Keep the tree away from floor heaters, fireplaces, or other heat sources.
• Use only CSA-listed lights, and no more than three strands linked together.
• Use miniature lights–which have cool-burning bulbs.
• Turn off the Christmas lights when you sleep, or if you leave your home for very long.
• Examine light strings each year, discard worn ones.
• Fasten the bulbs securely and point the sockets down to avoid moisture build up.
• Avoid overloading wall outlets and extension cords.
• Have an operable fire extinguisher readily available.
• Practice an escape plan at least once a year. Make sure the whole family is involved.
• Finally, make sure to dispose of your tree properly at the end of the season.
Protectron's “Saving Lives Program” is offered free to families considering home security solutions. More information on the program or on fire safety and home security is available online at www.protectron.com.
Post Your Comment: